Subject: Using 3DES with CIPE
From: Dave Close <dave+cipe,AT,compata,DOT,com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 00:59:25 +0200

We are attempted to set-up a CIPE tunnel to a vendor on behalf of a
client. The vendor is a large international company and claims to have
working CIPE tunnels with many other customers. However, we seem to be
the first one running Linux.

After getting over the terminology issues, I believe we have a properly
configured system. We can start the daemon and it starts the driver.
However, the log shows that our connections are continually rejected by
the vendor's system. I suspect that is due to an encryption algorithm
mismatch. The vendor says he is willing to accept either 3DES or MD5,
but has no provision for Blowfish or IDEA. As I read the CIPE documents,
those protocols are not possible unless we use PKCIPE. But the vendor
is not using PKCIPE, only a simple tunnel.

Have I misunderstood something? Is there a way to make CIPE use 3DES as
the cypher, short of munging the source code?
--
       Dave Close, Compata, Costa Mesa CA       +1 714 434 7359
       dave,AT,compata,DOT,com