Subject: Re: MTU
From: Mark Cooke <mpc,AT,star,DOT,sr,DOT,bham,DOT,ac,DOT,uk>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 13:21:20 +0200

Hi Phil,

I had an issue with MTU, and I manually changed the CIPE-Win32 MTU to
1442 by changing the registry, on the windows end of a linux-win32 cipe
link.[*]

This cured a problem I was having where small packets, like imap checks
for new mail, would make it over the encrypted link, but bulk transfers
such as actually grabbing the new messages, would fail.

This was on XP.

Note, I also set the service to manual, because even with the latest
dependancy registry mods, on (my install of) XP, the machine still
pauses for ~ 2 minutes during startup, logging DWK failed to start, and
then a terminated unexpectedly, before finally starting up.  I just
added a key to the 'Run' part of the registry, so the service is started
on login.[#]  It means I have to login before the CIPE link comes up,
but that isn't too big a deal in my situation.

With both the above, CIPE runs very well over my 802.11b link, so I was
able to switch off WEP (which isn't secure anyway).  I should just note
I've had a couple of blue screens since installing CIPE.

YMMV,

Mark

[*]  I added an MTU dword key to the right interface in
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{}

[#] HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, added a string,
"C:\windows\system32\cipsrvr.exe" -start