Subject: Re: IDEA (and another query)
From: Dave Close <dave+cipe,AT,compata,DOT,com>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 05:27:32 +0200

Olaf Titz wrote:
>I think 3DES would be a rather poor choice because of its *ahem*
>performance characteristics.

Not all installations of this CIPE will communicate only with other
installations of this software. Apparently, there are other versions
which do support 3DES, and we are unable to communicate with them.
I wrote here a week ago about our attempt to establish a CIPE tunnel
with a trading partner. There has been no direct response to my note
but this discussion confirms my impression that we can't make it work.
The trading partner is using 3DES and has many existing tunnels to
other companies; they won't change just for us. So we can't talk to
them with CIPE. My vote is to add 3DES somehow.
--
       Dave Close, Compata, Costa Mesa CA       +1 714 434 7359
       dave,AT,compata,DOT,com