Subject: Windows routing
From: Jake Bullet <jbullet,AT,cats,DOT,meow,DOT,at>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 18:18:55 +0200

Hello,

I'm trying to setup a link between two VPNs.

   Bill                    Tux                  Fred
172.16.0.2        172.16.0.1 172.16.1.1      172.16.1.2
Windows 2k  <---->    Linux Server    <----> Windows 2k
             CIPE                      CIPE

However I seem to be having some trouble with the routing.  When I try to
ping 172.16.1.1 from Bill the request is timing out.  Running tcpdump on
Bill's VPN shows that the ping requests aren't coming down the tunnel, so
it's not a routing issue on the linux side, Bill isn't sending the packets
down the tunnel at all.

I tried rearranging the routing on Bill using the "route" command, but
this only seems to break the tunnel completely.  I have set the netmask on
each of the windows clients to be 255.255.0.0 and 255.255.255.0 on Tux in
the hope that the packets would get routed properly.

The CIPE adapter doesn't seem to be acting like a normal interface as the
moment you do anything to the routing table the tunnel fails and the
tunnel has to be disabled in the cipe control panel and re-enabled to get
it going again.

Can anyone please help?  It's really important that I get this working.

P.S. I've tried it out on WindowsXP and it seems to work just fine, as too
for Windows 2003 Server Beta RC2.

Stephen
--
I/O, I/O, It's off to disk I go, A bit or byte to read or write, I/O, I/O,
I/O...