Subject: Re: No Fixed Points in Space (dhcp used at both ends)
From: "Edmund Lian" <elian,AT,inbrief,DOT,net>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 07:27:46 +0200

On 04/10/2003 12:43:40 AM Klaus wrote:

>Then the IP address changes at one end or the other and breaks the
>connection.  I've created scripts to restart things but was wondering if
>ciped or the dhcp client could handle this automatically some way like
>the dynamic dns client does.
>
>Does anyone have any thoughts on this, or is the only solution a static
>IP at the server end of the tunnel?

I'm about to implement a system with these properties. The way I'm going to
get around this is to have each box update its own address at an external
DNS server so that the two gateways can find each other using DNS. I
believe pkcipe has some support for this, but even if it does not, a little
scripting to detect changes to IP addresses and update the DNS entry would
be simple.

...Edmund.