To: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de
Subject: Re: Connection to bigred.inka.de on startup?
From: Edmund Lian <elian,AT,inbrief,DOT,net>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 15:16:58 +0800
Cc: Olaf Titz <olaf,AT,bigred,DOT,inka,DOT,de>

A few weeks ago I wrote:

I'm just starting to set up CIPE, and I notice that during the
boot process when the network was not connected, the box reported
a failed attempt to establish an encrypted tunnel to bigred.inka.de
as well as one other

Olaf asked:

Did you copy some example configuration? 8-)

I have more information now...

For me, the reported connection attempt (which might just be a bogus message) occurred under the circumstances:

1. The gateway machine was configured to use pkcipe.

2. A file containing a peer's public key and appropriate ipaddr and ptpaddr entries was in /etc/cipe/pk/kit (I'm using Debian, and the peer's name is kit)

3. On booting the gateway without a WAN connection, I got the following series of messages on the console:

Starting encrypted tunnel: kit getaddr host'bigred.inka.de' invalid/not found.
getaddr: host 'blackforest.inka.de' invalid/not found

Are these just bogus connection failure messages?

...Edmund.