To: "Joshua Wilson" <Joshua.Wilson,AT,erau,DOT,edu>, <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>
Subject: RE: Multicast over VPN
From: "Les Mikesell" <les,AT,futuresource,DOT,com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 17:26:56 -0500

> From: Joshua Wilson
>
> Has anyone else setup multicast over their cipe tunnel? I saw a comment
> from the old list from Lars asking about it, but no response.
>
> I have tried setting up mrouted to forward it down the cipe interface,
> but it doesn't believe the interface is valid.

Yes, but I was just testing it and don't have the commands
I used now.  I think I had to use 'ifconfig cipcb0 multicast'
before it would work, and I didn't use mrouted, I used smcroute
to set up a static route.

My peer was a Cisco router running PIM so I ended up configuring
a GRE tunnel on the Linux endpoint with the route traversing the
CIPE tunnel.  The other GRE endpoint was directly on the Cisco
and again I used PIM/smcroute on the Linux side.  I did make
a note of those commands if you want to try it that way.  I set
this up expecting to tunnel data to a remote office over the internet
for a few days while a frame relay connection was reconfigured but
it worked so well that I didn't switch to the frame connection for
months.

---
   Les Mikesell
     les,AT,futuresource,DOT,com