To: "Cipe list \(E-mail\)" <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>
Subject: Linux <-> Win2k issues
From: "Mark Smith" <mark.smith,AT,avcosystems,DOT,co,DOT,uk>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 12:26:15 +0100

Having finally gotten around to testing my setup, and having gotten most of
it operational, I have a few questions that hopefully may already have been
answered; sadly searching for likely keywords hasn't found me the relevant
posts.

After setting up the tunnel itself and proving that traffic passes between
the two machines, I've extended it slightly to allow access to other
machines connected to the linux end.  Specifically, the default route for
the Win2k side is the linux end of the tunnel, and the linux end has an
iptables rule to SNAT outbound traffic in POSTROUTING to it's own IP address
to ensure return traffic gets routed correctly.

This works perfectly, at least at first glance.  I can ping and telnet and
the traffic gets passed over and through as I would expect.  However,
although I can map network drives to Windows machines on the linux end, I
keep getting large amounts of messages in the logs:

May  2 12:19:26 starbug kernel: cipcb0: got short packet from <win2k ip>
May  2 12:19:56 starbug last message repeated 3 times
May  2 12:19:58 starbug kernel: UDP: bad checksum. From 192.168.255.2:138 to
192.168.255.1:138 ulen 214
May  2 12:20:08 starbug kernel: cipcb0: got short packet from <win2k ip>
May  2 12:20:48 starbug last message repeated 4 times

I also can't seem to get a vnc connection to display at all, eventually
resulting in a read error.  It connects, authenticates the password, and for
a little while I can see the mouse moving around on the host, but the client
remains blank.

My suspicion at this point in time is packet size, either too small, too
large (ie close to or greater than MTU) or a size mismatch; perhaps the size
being stored or reported is not the actual size being used, I don't know the
details.

Please, ask questions if there's some information you want me to provide in
order to try to resolve this problem.  The vnc connection is the reason for
setting this whole thing up, so at the very least I could do with that
working.

Thanks in advance,

--
Mark Smith - Avco Systems Ltd
email: mark.smith,AT,avcosystems,DOT,co,DOT,uk