To: Les Mikesell <les,AT,futuresource,DOT,com>, cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de
Subject: Re: Problem with dead CIPE link
From: Alessandro Baretta <alex,AT,baretta,DOT,com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 15:34:15 +0200

Les Mikesell wrote:
On Thu, 2003-06-05 at 06:09, Alessandro Baretta wrote:

I've always wanted mine to retry forever, although if the

I've tried it, but it is unfeasible, AFAICT. If one side of the VPN goes down, even you restart it (manually or otherwise) it will have forgotten the key and won't be able to authenticate itself with the surviving peer.

Mine will reconnect by itself, and probably does it better
than any external mechanism.  I'm running the 1.4.5 version

That's curious. I've been working with the latest release (1.5.4). In my case, in one side goes down it is unable to reconnect unless the other side is restarted too. For this reason I stated that "it is unfeasible, AFAICT".

that comes with RedHat and have been reluctant to update
because it has been so robust.  I have a central machine that
has about a dozen instances started with different options
files and it stays up for many months at a time while the
remote ends go through all the typical internet connectivity
issues and are rebooted/replaced periodically.  I never have
to do anything special to make it reconnect after an outage.
But, this is cipe, not pkcipe.

I wonder if the author(s) can shed some light on this topic.

Alex