To: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de
Subject: windows file sharing works only one way, pings etc fine both ways : /
From: Arne Kepp <cipe-l,AT,smallworld,DOT,no>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 15:14:28 +0200

Thanks for fil and dkw for answering my last email : ) I'd be surprised if my
current problem has not been documented, but I have been unable to find it in
the archive of this mailing list or by googling (windows file shares, cifs,
samba, smb... so many words for the same thing ; )

Anyway, here I am:
so i worked myself through setting up an experimental connection like:
Workstation 1                    Linux gateway box       Workstation 2
ext. 175.1.161.184    -->     ext 175.1.161.184  -->  int 192.168.3.2
cipe 172.16.1.10                cipe 172.16.1.1
test 192.168.4.1                 int 192.168.3.1

WS1 and WS2 can ping each other just fine, (I have also added another
interface
192.168.4.1 to WS1 to check the routing from WS2 to this new interface,
works).
Viewing a windows share on one machine from the other works both ways without
any problems, both hosts have each other list in
winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and lmhosts (using 192.168.4.1 and
192.168.3.2
respectively).

I have two problems that are probably two sides of the same thing:
I can, sitting on WS1, connect to WS2 and download files of any type and size
just fine. However, if I sit on WS2 I can see the shares and files on WS1, but
windows pretty much hangs if I try to open or download any of them.

Any hints where I should look?

(The "other" problem occurs when I try to copy a file to WS2 from WS1:
First the weird exception that throws me off: Copying a small text file
(1.17kb)
from WS1 to WS2 and back to WS1 _seems_ to work fine (I am unsure because I do
not know to what extent windows caches files), content ok. Copying a larger
file
from WS1 to WS2 I get "The specified network name is no longer available".
Copying the small text file back right after this error message works fine.
Copying a small GIF file (1.43kb) from WS1 to WS2 either results in the same
error message _or_ I can seemingly copy the file but its corrupted when it
gets
to WS1)

Thanks again,
Arne Kepp