To: Shashank Khanvilkar <shashank,AT,mia,DOT,ece,DOT,uic,DOT,edu>
Subject: Re: Tutorial (updated)
From: Phil Scarratt <fil,AT,draxsen,DOT,com>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 14:42:07 +1000
Cc: CIPE <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>

indeed, as you mention it does look for the correct options file. If you are going to produce a Win32 version of the doc, i think it would be wise to add a little something about routing. The main points:

1. Include the info about the ME and PEER ip addresses from the texinfo manual (ie they are the carrier addresses on the LOCAL machines - even if the win32 machine is inside a lan behind a firewall, it is the LAN ip address)
2. Include discussion about the PTPADDR and IPADDR being on a separate subnet to the networks at either end if you want to be able to see machines on the remote network (this is a windows requirement as otherwise the required route to the remote lan cannot be added to the Win32 machine). If you only want to see the server, then same subnet as the remote network is ok. Or alternatively, simply add a default route to the win32 machine (assuming road warrior) - doesn't matter what subnet then. Key is what they want to do - a default route will route ALL (including internet) traffic through far end (securest thing to do), different subnet with no default route will only route packets destined to other end through link (not as secure but possibly more useful when connecting 2 controlled lan's).

Hope that makes sense. I will browse my notes and see if there is anything else that needs adding that is different to Linux-Linux connections.

Thanks for the work...

Fil

Shashank Khanvilkar wrote:
2. With standard redhat setup, you can put all options from the cipe options file except maxerr, arg and key into

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-cipcbx

For example:

########## /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-cipcb0 ##########
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=no
TYPE=CIPE
ONBOOT=yes
DEVICE=cipcb0
PTPADDR=192.168.254.200
IPADDR=192.168.254.201
ME=131.193.50.165:55555
PEER=131.193.50.184:55555
########## end of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-cipcb0 ##########

and

########## /etc/cipe/options.cipcb0 ##########
maxerr -1
key             f0....938dba607caf664bb83444QQee
arg 192.168.2.0
########## end of /etc/cipe/options.cipcb0 ##########

The interface can then be started manually with "ifup cipcb0" and brought down manually with "ifconfig cipcb0 down". It also should start at bootup. This at least works with RH7.2/3. Haven't tested with RH8.0 (although I can if needed)

I guess my earlier doubt was cleared, when i looked in ifup-cipcb..

if [ ! -f /etc/cipe/options.$NAME ]; then
    echo "/etc/cipe/options.$NAME missing for device $DEVICE"
    exit 1
fi

So i guess it does look into options.cipcb0
Thanks
shank

-- Phil Scarratt Draxsen Technologies IT Contractor/Consultant 0403 53 12 71