To: <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>
Subject: redhat kernel with cipe 1.5.4
From: "Alex Kramarov" <alex-2346,AT,incredimail,DOT,com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 18:16:22 +0200

Hi all,

I have a long time maintained a redhat kernel with lvs patches (linux
virtual server), and since i also use cipe, that recently discovered that a
bug in redhat's cipe (discarding small packets) was causing me problems, i
have added cipe 1.5.4 to my kernels.

The kernels are available at http://mail.incredimail.com/howto/lvs/install,
also a new cipe-1.5.4 userland rpm, based on the 1.4.5 redhat spec file, so
if anyone upgrades, no config changes nesesary, it still works as in
standard redhat rpms.

i usually update my kernels withing a few days of redhat releasing their, so
you can rely on these kernels , or compile your own (a recepy for doing so
is also at that url)

may i say, that trying to split cipe to 2 parts, kernel patch, and
userland-ONLY rpm was not easy. there is a good reason to do that, since
kernel upgrades come out more or less every 1-2 month, and the last update
of cipe was a year ago (i believe), so updating cipe every time you update
the kernel is troublesome. a good sample of both theories coexisting is
lvs - they have modules that you can compile for a kernel, and you have a
single kernel patch, that can be added to the kernel, so one who wants not
to touch the main kernel, can use the modules, and one who has 10 machines
to upgrade every time a new kernel comes out, will use a patched kernel ,
since this will save him alot of work.

Alex.