To: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de
Subject: Any chance for a 98/me driver?
From: Christoph Biedl <cbiedl,AT,gmx,DOT,de>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 14:12:25 +0200

Hello,

every now and then I find myself in the situation where I'd like to create
a vpn connection between a Win 0.98 and a Linux computer. Since I've
aquainted with CIPE I'd like to use it here, too.

The list archive shows severals requests for that.
At http://cipe-win32.sourceforge.net/ I read: "It does not run (yet) on
DOS based Windows versions or Windows XP.".
In the Todo is a (possibly quite old) note that a part to Win 9x/me is
"not likely".

So, is there a chance that there will be a port one day? Or have you (the
developers) decided not to spend time on that for whatever reason like
complicated driver modell, deprecated Windows versions that will vanish
sooner or later, lack of interest or not enough coffee from the fundings?

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate your work and I'm afraid I
cannot contribute - the last device driver I wrote was back in the
MS-DOS 2.11 days and things have surely become a bit more complicated
since then. However, I'd like to know whether it's worth to wait or even
to engage in the project or whether I should consider an 98/me driver as
"will never appear" and look for other solutions (none of them looks
really convincing).

        Christoph