To: Daniel Andor <Daniel.Andor,AT,physics,DOT,org>
Subject: Re: concrete udp forwarding question
From: Phil Scarratt <fil,AT,draxsen,DOT,com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:14:35 +1000
Cc: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de

Follow

http://mia.ece.uic.edu/~papers/volans/cipe.html

You may need to use MachineC instead of the routerNAT to get access to MachineA with CIPE as you need to add firewall rules/port forwards to the routerNAT. All the routerNAT really needs to do is allow the port you select for CIPE to be forwarded from internal lan to internet. NAT'ing will take care of routing the returning or incoming CIPE packets from MachineA back to MachineB. If there is no available free port open on the routerNAT then MachineC is the way - exactly the same applies (ie just allow the port you select to be forwarded from internal to internet and NAT will take care of rest. The problem with this of course is that I presume the default gateway on MachineB is the routerNAT in which case you will have to tell MachineB that the specific route to MachineA is via MachineC.

Hope this makes sense.
Fil

Daniel Andor wrote:
Hi All,

I can't quite work out how to configure this setup, so I would be very grateful for some help.

I have a machineA with a static IP, and a machineB behind a NAT router:

machineA <--- internet ---> routerNAT <--- internal LAN ---> machineB

How should I configure this to create a cipe vpn between machineA and B?

Notes:
I do not have access to routerNAT.
There's another machineC, distinct from the router, which has interfaces on both the internet *and* the internal LAN. I have access to this to be able to run userland programs.

Any help appreciated!
Thanks,
Daniel.