To: "Damion Wilson" <dwilson,AT,ibl,DOT,bm>
Subject: Re: java
From: "Russell Berry" <russ,AT,berrex,DOT,com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 10:55:08 -0400
Cc: <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>

Hey Damion,

I apologize if I offended you in some way, I assure you that was not my
intention.  My personal experience with win/cipe has had limited success.  I
love linux-linux cipe tunnels, as they are they only VPN that will hold up
on a two way satellite connection for a sustainted period of time.  The
problems I've experienced with Windows range from blue screens to
non-specific network failures while using that cipe adapter/service.  I cut
my teeth on C back in the days of K&R when unix wasn't kewl, so I'm aware of
the portability issues, or the lack thereof I should say.

I feel that we need a platform independent way of implementing cipe, and I
only use the term proxy in the literal sense. Maybe I should term it 'proxy
routing'.  I admit I haven't read every line of cipe code, time doesn't
permit me such luxuries anymore, so I have to make the assumption that such
an implementation would link into the network protocol stacks a different
way than creating a cipe adapter and I don't even know if there is a way to
create a virtual adapter with java, or other more portable languages.

So if you will indulge me, I'll re-state my question this way; Is a portable
language version feasible, and if so how might the bindings to an 'network
adapter' take place?

Thank you,
---russ

Russell Berry