To: "Russell Berry" <russ,AT,berrex,DOT,com>
Subject: Re: java
From: "Damion K. Wilson" <dwilson,AT,ibl,DOT,bm>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 12:15:24 -0300
Cc: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de

No problem. Now can I understand where you're coming from.

When I approached CIPE-Win32 originally, I had to decide whether I would
implement the protocol only, or actually make the software work just like
CIPE did already. As you can see, the implementation on Windows has no
similarity to that on Linux. This is because the Windows environment is
sufficiently dissimilar to cause a Linux style implementation tobe cumbersome
and, perhaps, even unworkable.

That said, if one were to approach the problem/s by trying to make a single
codebase for all platforms, how would you deal with the device drivers and
their interactions with the service/daemons ? Would you run separate
processes for each adapter instance (resource problems on Windows or with
Java) or would you use threading (debugging issues and problems with pthreads
on Linux) ? I'm pretty sure that the adapter drivers will have to be written
in "C" on both platforms, the only entities that are ripe for rewrite in
another language are cipsrvr.exe and ciped-cb.

I don't have an opinion on this yet, I'm just going over the obvious issues.
do understand that you envision platform independence as a way of reducing
the number of problems with the codebase. However, the solution may actually
cause more problems than the problem itself !