To: Mark Smith <mark.smith,AT,avcosystems,DOT,co,DOT,uk>
Subject: RE: java - python
From: "Eric M. Hopper" <hopper,AT,omnifarious,DOT,org>
Date: 02 Jul 2003 12:42:44 -0500
Cc: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de

On Wed, 2003-07-02 at 11:44, Mark Smith wrote:
> I would expect that unless it has a packet capture and transmit
> implementation, such as pcap, then you would be unable to retrieve or inject
> the unencrypted packets.  The java implementation, jpcap, does appear to
> support both transmit and receive, but only for some of the Win32 platforms,
> not all.  WinNT4, for example, does not appear to be supported.

If you had a Java based TCP/IP stack, you wouldn't need to inject the
packets.  You'd just have to send ordinary UDP packets from Java and
everything would be fine.

You'd decrypt the UDP packet, pull out the IP packet, run the IP packet
through your userland TCP stack and it would work great.  You'd only run
into trouble if you needed to route the IP packets to some other host or
program running on the same machine.  As long as all the connections are
to the program that has the userland TCP stack, it will work.

Of course, what you've largely implemented is a weird and somewhat
expensive form of TLS.  Especially if you're running TCP over IP over
CIPE/UDP.

Have fun (if at all possible),
--
There's an excellent C/C++/Python/Unix/Linux programmer with a wide
range of other experience and system admin skills who needs work.