To: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de
Subject: Re: Installing cipe in a different directory
From: Christoph Biedl <cbiedl,AT,gmx,DOT,de>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 15:49:30 +0200

Hans Steegers wrote...

> See conf/Makefile-obj.in:
> BINDIR:=/usr/local/sbin
> MODDIR:=/lib/modules/@KVERS@/misc

Yes, found that in the meantime, too.

> The locations are 'hard coded'; however you can modify this file.

I don't mind to UTSL, but I'd like to avoid that whereever possible since
this adds confusion in understanding what I have done.

> The modules are specific to the kernel-version. You cannot
> use a module compiled for kernel a for another kernel b.

I'm aware of that, as I've reported a few weeks earlier: even changing a
small kernel option may cause a crash.

> Why would you want another location? Very obscure indeed!

Not that much if you know that the machine is a Pentium at 133MHz - you
surely don't want to compile a kernel on that (besides leaving gcc and
make on a router is considered harmful), so I am compiling the kernel on a
different machine and I'd like to do the same for cipe like in the
following:

[ on my powerful kernel build computer ]
$ tar -xzf /path/to/cipe.tar.gz ; mkdir final
$ cd cipe-1.5.4
$ patch -p1 </path/to/my-cipe-patches
$ ./configure --build-root=`pwd`/../final
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
$ make ; make install
$ cd ../final
$ fakeroot tar -cf ../cipe-stuff.tar *

And scp cipe-stuff.tar to the router. Of course depmod within 'make
install' will fail but this shouldn't do harm.

fakeroot is probably a Debianism, it will cause the ownership of the files
in the tar to be root.

> If you need more information on the configure script, read the
> autoconf documentation.

I'll see whether it's possible to have something like the --build-root
above since an additional configure option is more obvious than some
hardcoded addresses in the Makefiles. Since I'm running cipe on on six
computers this would also allow re-building cipe from a single tarball.

Anybody interested in the results?

        Christoph