To: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de
Subject: Re: Installing cipe in a different directory
From: hans steegers <steegers,AT,steegers,DOT,nl>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 16:58:33 +0200

Op donderdag 3 juli 2003 15:49, schreef Christoph Biedl:
> Hans Steegers wrote...
> > Why would you want another location? Very obscure indeed!
>
> Not that much if you know that the machine is a Pentium at 133MHz - you
> surely don't want to compile a kernel on that (besides leaving gcc and
> make on a router is considered harmful), so I am compiling the kernel on a
> different machine and I'd like to do the same for cipe like in the
> following:
>
> [ on my powerful kernel build computer ]
> $ tar -xzf /path/to/cipe.tar.gz ; mkdir final
> $ cd cipe-1.5.4
> $ patch -p1 </path/to/my-cipe-patches
> $ ./configure --build-root=`pwd`/../final
>               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> $ make ; make install
> $ cd ../final
> $ fakeroot tar -cf ../cipe-stuff.tar *
>
> And scp cipe-stuff.tar to the router. Of course depmod within 'make
> install' will fail but this shouldn't do harm.
>
> fakeroot is probably a Debianism, it will cause the ownership of the files
> in the tar to be root.
>
> > If you need more information on the configure script, read the
> > autoconf documentation.
>
> I'll see whether it's possible to have something like the --build-root
> above since an additional configure option is more obvious than some
> hardcoded addresses in the Makefiles. Since I'm running cipe on on six
> computers this would also allow re-building cipe from a single tarball.
>
> Anybody interested in the results?
>
>       Christoph

 ./configure --with-linux=/usr/src/<linuxsourcedir>
allows you to specify which linux source tree to use.

Build cipe, without installing, and you will find
cipcb.o en ciped-cb in the subdirectory
<linuxversion>-i386-cb/
and pkcipe in the subdirectory
pkcipe/

A simple script can do the job, building, moving and
tarballing the results.

Do a 'make distclean' before building another version.

Another option is a symlink 'linux' in /usr/src/
pointing to the linux source tree to use, for example:
linux -> 2_4_21-XFS/linux

Hans Steegers