To: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de
Subject: CIPE-win32 and broadcast - Again...
From: Olivier Guyotot <Olivier.Guyotot,AT,free,DOT,fr>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 15:45:47 +0200

hi,

I think there may be a small bug with CIPE-win32 (version 2.0-pre15) and broadcast. Why? well, LAN games still don't work over CIPE (yes, I still trying...). So I made a lot of tests recently, on a small home VPN, using CIPE for linux, CIPE-win32, and different peers configurations to try to understand what is going on.

I may be wrong, but strange things seem to happen to broadcast packets sent through the tunnel. For example:
box A virtual ip: 10.0.0.1 (CIPE-win32)
box B virtual ip: 10.0.1.1 (CIPE linux)
- if box A sends a packet to 10.0.1.255, box B will receive a packet from 10.0.0.1 with destination 10.0.1.1
- but if box B sends a packet to 10.0.0.255, box A will receive a packet from 10.0.1.1 with destination 10.0.0.255
therefore, here CIPE linux seems to behave correctly, while CIPE-win32 isn't correctly forwarding broadcast packets.

As I said before, I may be wrong, and the trouble may come from a bad setup. But I have observed the same thing with differents configurations (peers on the same subnet, on different subnets, with and without adding entries in the routing table for broadcast,...).

So, did I made a mistake somewhere, or does somebody else observe the same thing? And if so, is it simply the correct behaviour for CIPE-win32 or is it a bug?
thank you very much