To: 'Naoki' <i_naoki,AT,mbf,DOT,nifty,DOT,com>, cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de
Subject: RE: Redhat9 CIPE
From: David Brodbeck <DavidB,AT,mail,DOT,interclean,DOT,com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:26:29 -0400

If there are no WINS servers, the Windows machines broadcast to find unknown
NetBIOS names.  This only works if all the machines are on the same subnet,
and even then it's not very efficient.  If you have more than a couple dozen
machines on the same subnet it tends to result in broadcast storms.

This isn't unique to cIPe...in any situation where you have windows machines
that aren't on the same subnet, Network Neighborhood browsing will not work
without a WINS server.  Regardless, it's so much more stable and efficient
with a WINS server involved that I recommend using one on any Windows LAN
that has more than a few machines.  When you connect a machine to the LAN
you get a full listing in Network Neighborhood immediately, instead of
having to wait half an hour, for example.

> In this situation, I must build a Firewall system with VPN
> for business.
> If I build Samba into this system, security will not be good. Besides,
> there are not any other PC which can build Samba any longer.

It doesn't have to be on the firewall.  It can be on any machine that all
the other systems can reach.  It also doesn't have to be a Samba system.
Our WINS server is a Windows NT 4.0 Server machine.  Any server-class
Windows OS will work.