To: CIPE <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>
Subject: Traceroute in only one direction.
From: James Knott <james.knott,AT,rogers,DOT,com>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2003 21:41:01 -0400

I have CIPE set up between my firewall and notebook computer. Both are running Red Hat 7.3. I have noticed that while I can traceroute from my notebook to firewall, I can't in the opposite direction. Ethereal running on my firewall can see the the traceroute packets going out, but the modem indicators show no data being received by the notebook.
Ping works fine in both directions.

I have also noticed that network browsing with smb or nfs is painfully slow going from my notebook to systems on my lan, but much faster from my lan to notebook. The data lights on the cable and dial up modems indicate erratic data transfer when browsing the lan from the notebook and much smoother transfer, when browsing the notebook from the lan.

The above makes me suspect a problem with udp packets going from my lan to my notebook. The connection to the notebook is via a dial up modem. My firewall is connected to the internet via a cable modem. Might the speed difference be the cause of the problems? The MTU on the CIPE tunnel is set to 1440 bytes, to allow for the vpn headers.

Any ideas?

tnx jk