To: CIPE <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>
Subject: Re: Traceroute in only one direction.
From: Christof Meerwald <cmeerw,AT,web,DOT,de>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 23:02:15 +0200

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 16:06:49 -0400, James Knott wrote:
>>> I have CIPE set up between my firewall and notebook computer.  Both
>>> are running Red Hat 7.3.  I have noticed that while I can traceroute
>>> from my notebook to firewall, I can't in the opposite direction.
[...]
> This is getting curiouser and curiouser.  When examining the outgoing
> packets that contain the traceroute packets, from my firewall to
> notebook, I can see the time to live count starting at 1 for 3 packets,
> then 2 for 3 etc.  It appears as though the TTL values from traceroute
> are making their way into the UDP headers.  Going the other way, from
> the notebook to firewall, shows a steady TTL of 40 on all encrypted
> packets containing traceroute packets.

Have a look at the "cttl" setting for cipe:

  "Carrier TTL value. If not specified or 0, use the payload packet's TTL.
  Default recommendation is 64."

Maybe you have set it on one end and not on the other.

bye, Christof

--
http://cmeerw.org                                 JID: cmeerw,AT,jabber,DOT,at
mailto cmeerw at web.de