To: James Knott <james.knott,AT,rogers,DOT,com>
Subject: Re: Setting up CIPE on XP
From: Phil Scarratt <fil,AT,draxsen,DOT,com>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 11:40:31 +1000
Cc: CIPE <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>

James Knott wrote:
I'm trying to configure CIPE on XP. While the drivers installed OK (despite not being "registered" with Bill Gates), I'm not sure about part of the configureation. In Linux, a host route was configured, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.255. However, I can't set up such a mask or host route in XP. Any idea about how I might do that?

If all is working properly in XP - the ONLY route that needs setting up manually is the route to the remote CIPE-connected network. For this, be careful about your choice of IP addresses for the link (IP and PTP settings). For the carrier addresses, you can specify full host names if they are resolvable from the local machine to a real ip address. EG:

LinuxBox:
LocalNet:192.168.1.0/24
me:some.resolvable.host.name (public interface with static IP or Dynamic DNS dynamic ip)
peer:0.0.0.0 (maxerr=-1 for this)
IP:192.168.0.1
PTP:192.168.0.2

XPBox:
LocalNet:192.168.2.0/24
me:234.234.234.234
peer:123.123.123.123
IP:192.168.0.2
PTP:192.168.0.1

With this sort of setup the ONLY route that needs adding on the XP end is:

route add 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.1 if 192.168.0.2

The "if 192.168.0.2" is not actually needed as XP will automatically pick that interface for 192.168.0.1

Make sure that a service named "DKW Heavy Industries VPN Adapter. Service" exists. Once the CIPE-Settings is setup correctly, the service should start and stay started. Check the task manager for a cipsrvr.exe process running. If this does not stay running, then there's a rpoblem somewhere.

Also, on the Linux side, I am able to specify the host name for my home computer, instead of a specific IP address. This avoids problems with dhcp. However, the CIPE control panel appears to accept only an IP address. Is there any way around this?

See above

3rd, once everything is configured correctly, how is the VPN started?

Start/Stoping the above mentioned service will start stop the connection.

My plan is to have my notebook connect to my home network. This already works when I boot into Linux, but now I'd like to get the XP side working too.

tnx jk