To: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de
Subject: Re: Setting up CIPE on XP
From: James Knott <james.knott,AT,rogers,DOT,com>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 18:43:21 -0400

Phil Scarratt wrote:

James Knott wrote:

I'm trying to configure CIPE on XP. While the drivers installed OK (despite not being "registered" with Bill Gates), I'm not sure about part of the configureation. In Linux, a host route was configured, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.255. However, I can't set up such a mask or host route in XP. Any idea about how I might do that?

If all is working properly in XP - the ONLY route that needs setting up manually is the route to the remote CIPE-connected network. For this, be careful about your choice of IP addresses for the link (IP and PTP settings). For the carrier addresses, you can specify full host names if they are resolvable from the local machine to a real ip address. EG:

LinuxBox:
LocalNet:192.168.1.0/24
me:some.resolvable.host.name (public interface with static IP or Dynamic DNS dynamic ip)
peer:0.0.0.0 (maxerr=-1 for this)
IP:192.168.0.1
PTP:192.168.0.2

XPBox:
LocalNet:192.168.2.0/24
me:234.234.234.234
peer:123.123.123.123
IP:192.168.0.2
PTP:192.168.0.1

In the "control panel", I have the following settings.

LAN IP Settings
Local IP Address 0.0.0.0 port 6969
Peer IP Address 24.153.22.195 port 6969.  This is the box where I'd like
to place the host name, rather than specific IP.  However, it will not
take a host name here.  The name is the one issued by my ISP.

PTP IP Settings
Local PTP Address 192.168.2.20
Peer PTP Address 192.168.2.10

And the route 192.168.2.0 net mask 255.255.255.0 shows up in the routing
table.

With this sort of setup the ONLY route that needs adding on the XP end is:

route add 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.1 if 192.168.0.2

The "if 192.168.0.2" is not actually needed as XP will automatically pick that interface for 192.168.0.1

Make sure that a service named "DKW Heavy Industries VPN Adapter. Service" exists. Once the CIPE-Settings is setup correctly, the service should start and stay started. Check the task manager for a cipsrvr.exe process running. If this does not stay running, then there's a rpoblem somewhere.

It's running

Also, on the Linux side, I am able to specify the host name for my home computer, instead of a specific IP address. This avoids problems with dhcp. However, the CIPE control panel appears to accept only an IP address. Is there any way around this?

See above

3rd, once everything is configured correctly, how is the VPN started?

After all that, I can't even ping my end of the tunnel.

Also, the Linux version sets up a host route, with a net mask of
255.255.255.255.  Why not the same here?

tnx jk