To: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de
Subject: Re: compiling CIPE on redhat 6.1...Help
From: Christoph Biedl <cbiedl,AT,gmx,DOT,de>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 17:48:21 +0200

Chuck Hare wrote...

> While I am new to compiling software on Linux, I am not to new to Linux
> or Unix. Can anyone offer any assistance in compiling and installing
> CIPE 1.5 (downloaded source) on a RedHat 6.1 server I have. I seem to be
> getting nowhere fast. I understand I must compile before I "make", but I
> cant seem to even do that correctly. Any advise would be greatly
> appreciated.

So you're looking for a quick "How do I compile"-Howto?

# cd to a directory appropriate mkdir Sources, e.g. ~/src
# untar the sources
tar -xzf /path/to/cipe-1.5.4.tar.gz
# cd to the newly created cipe sources directory
cd cipe-1.5.4
# The Makefile needs to be configured first. The following process
# also detects you Unix and compiler version and many other things.
/configure
# You might also add a lot of configuration options like
# ./configure --without-pkcipe
# See the documentation for details

# Actually compile
make
# Install the software. This step requires root priviledges
make install

This "triple jump" "./configure ; make ; make install" is very typical
for compling unix sources, a README file should list them anyway.

        Christoph