To: Gerd Feiner <gerd,AT,cerb,DOT,de>
Subject: Re: bridging over the internet?
From: hans steegers <steegers,AT,steegers,DOT,nl>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:21:39 +0200
Cc: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de

Op woensdag 13 augustus 2003 15:09, schreef u:
> cool.  the connection will be synchronous 2mbit with shaped bandwidth on
> both sides.  one thing is still unclear:
>
> do i configure pptp-addresses on the cipe-interfaces?
I am not sure. Maybe you have to assign an address first and later assign
"0.0.0.0". Or maybe not. In the first case you need probably also the
ifconfig keyword in your options file.

> the bridges (two actually, i think) will consist of ethx and cipcbx on
Note that for protocol 4 the cipe device is _not_ cipcbX, _but_ cipdbX
Configure with --enable-protocol=4

> either side of the tunnel, so sould not configure addresses for the
> cipe-interfaces, right?
You have to join the ethX and cipdbX devices. The CIPE manual (section 2.2)
states that it is "possible to make the CIPE device part of an Ethernet
bridge..", so it must be possible.
The same for both sides of the tunnel.
> or is this completely different with protocol version 4?
Except for different device-naming configuration doesn't differ much..

> is there any documentation about this?  if not i shall write one ...
I am not aware of a cipe specific document on ethernet bridging.
So if you get it working, it would help others if you write down al steps
required in a CIPE-ETHERNET-BRIDGE.HOWTO..

Hans Steegers