To: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de
Subject: Re: cipe/router
From: Peter van den Heuvel <peter,AT,bank-connect,DOT,com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 02:03:20 +0200

I have a LAN of windows computer that are connected to the Internet through a computer running Redhat 9 acting as a router using NAT. I am trying to connect an external Redhat 9 computer into the LAN using a CIPE VPN connection to the router. At one point I actually had the VPN connection between the external computer and the router working, but could not ping the internal network from the external computer. After messing with my iptables thinking that was the reason I couldn't get to the internal network, I managed lose the ability to connect the external computer to the router through the VPN. Does anyone know of a comprehensive tutorial for doing the about scenario? I hate to waste everyone's time with questions if there is a tutorial I can be pointed to.
Don't be confused by the fact that you're using cipe. It's all generic
networking knowledge, not specific to cipe:
- cipe works over some network; usually Internet.
- make sure the two cipe machines can ping oneanother.
- disable all iptables stuff (allow all for input and output).
- bring up cipe and make sure you can ping the other end-point.
- now try to ping something beyond the endpoint.

If the last step does not work, you simple have a route problem:
you must add a route to the remote network on the local cipe machine, setting the remote cipe machine as the gateway. Make sure to only use the "private addresses". All IP's to the "Internet" are irrelevant here.

Peter