To: CIPE <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>
Subject: Re: Slow file sharing performance
From: Jon Bendtsen <jon+cipe,AT,silicide,DOT,dk>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 11:38:29 +0200

James Knott wrote:
I've notice that while my CIPE VPN works, that SMB and NFS access of my home network from my notebook is slow. However, going the other way, accessing file shares on my notebook, from my home lan is fine. I'm connecting from my notebook, via dialup ISP and cable modem to my home network.

Why is this problem in only one direction? Is it due to the speed difference between my home network and dial up modem?

Well, i can think of 2 reasons. The most likely is that you have a different upload and download speed, like 2048kbits down, and 512 up.
The other reason could be that one end is much much faster than at home.
Suppose you have a recent notebook, then you have at least 500mhz+, if
not 1ghz+. At home you might have your old pentium 90mhz as a cipe gw.
Thus, when you send stuff from home, the p90 has to encrypt it, and
when you send from your notebook that one has to encrypt it. (I'm guessing here that encryption takes longer time than decryption.

JonB