To: CIPE <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>
Subject: Re: Slow file sharing performance
From: Jon Bendtsen <jon+cipe,AT,silicide,DOT,dk>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 15:15:28 +0200

James Knott wrote:
Jon Bendtsen wrote:

James Knott wrote:

I've notice that while my CIPE VPN works, that SMB and NFS access of my home network from my notebook is slow. However, going the other way, accessing file shares on my notebook, from my home lan is fine. I'm connecting from my notebook, via dialup ISP and cable modem to my home network.

Why is this problem in only one direction? Is it due to the speed difference between my home network and dial up modem?

Well, i can think of 2 reasons. The most likely is that you have a different upload and download speed, like 2048kbits down, and 512 up.
The other reason could be that one end is much much faster than at home.
Suppose you have a recent notebook, then you have at least 500mhz+, if
not 1ghz+. At home you might have your old pentium 90mhz as a cipe gw.
Thus, when you send stuff from home, the p90 has to encrypt it, and
when you send from your notebook that one has to encrypt it. (I'm guessing here that encryption takes longer time than decryption.

One computer is a 1.113 GHz PIII, the other is an Athlon XP 1700. I'd suspect both ends have sufficient horsepower. Also, when watching the data lights flash, it's apparent that the data transfer stops entirely for quite a while. I would expect transfers to be slower due to the dial up connection, but not stopped. The vastly slower dialup connection would rule out the asymetrical cable modem speeds as a cause of the problem. As I mentioned, it only happens in the one direction.

The firewall is a 166 MHz Pentium and is running about 99% idle. Also,

does the firewall run cipe? or is it the big machines?

JonB