To: CIPE <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>
Subject: Re: Slow file sharing performance
From: Jon Bendtsen <jon+cipe,AT,silicide,DOT,dk>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 15:17:42 +0200

Tanel wrote:
On Sun, 31 Aug 2003, James Knott wrote:

I've notice that while my CIPE VPN works, that SMB and NFS access of my home network from my notebook is slow. However, going the other

One computer is a 1.113 GHz PIII, the other is an Athlon XP 1700. I'd suspect both ends have sufficient horsepower. Also, when watching the data lights flash, it's apparent that the data transfer stops entirely for quite a while. I would expect transfers to be slower due to the

Cipe uses UDP protocol and it is very sensitive to packet latency and packet loss. So I think UDP does not suite for a VPN, where files must be transported. Try SSH tunnels instead.

well, ssh uses tcp, and tcp ontop of another tcp is a bad idea.
The CIPE homepage explains why.
Besides, NFS usualy uses UDP too, and i dont really see a reason why UDP is worse than TCP if just the application that uses the UDP has as good, or better handling of packetloss, as does TCP.

JonB