To: CIPE <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>
Subject: Re: Slow file sharing performance
From: Les Mikesell <les,AT,futuresource,DOT,com>
Date: 31 Aug 2003 09:24:51 -0500

On Sun, 2003-08-31 at 08:17, Jon Bendtsen wrote:

> > Cipe uses UDP protocol and it is very sensitive to packet latency and
> > packet loss. So I think UDP does not suite for a VPN, where files must be
> > transported. Try SSH tunnels instead.
>
> well, ssh uses tcp, and tcp ontop of another tcp is a bad idea.

I don't agree that UDP causes problems, but on the other hand it is
nice to configure ssh access as well in case you need to diagnose
problems with CIPE or the other end of the tunnel fails and you
still need some kind of remote access.  If you do have ssh available
you can use scp or winscp (with a nice GUI) to transfer files without
having to tunnel over it.  If there is a big difference in speed between
scp and ftp or smb over the cipe tunnel you probably have a problem
with the MTU.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les,AT,futuresource,DOT,com