To: CIPE <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>
Subject: Re: Slow file sharing performance
From: James Knott <james.knott,AT,rogers,DOT,com>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 20:38:58 -0400

Jon Bendtsen wrote:
James Knott wrote:

One computer is a 1.113 GHz PIII, the other is an Athlon XP 1700. I'd suspect both ends have sufficient horsepower. Also, when watching the data lights flash, it's apparent that the data transfer stops entirely for quite a while. I would expect transfers to be slower due to the dial up connection, but not stopped. The vastly slower dialup connection would rule out the asymetrical cable modem speeds as a cause of the problem. As I mentioned, it only happens in the one direction.

The firewall is a 166 MHz Pentium and is running about 99% idle. Also,

does the firewall run cipe? or is it the big machines?

The firewall is a 166 MHz Pentium with 64 MB. It runs better than 99% idle, so it's not working that hard. The Athlon is my main desktop system. CIPE is running on the firewall. Also, as I recall from reading about CIPE, it was developed to run on a 486.