To: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de
Subject: Re: Slow file sharing performance
From: James Knott <james.knott,AT,rogers,DOT,com>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 07:59:15 -0400

Hans Steegers wrote:
1. Suspect your firewall(s) dropping ICMP or other (SMB/NFS) protocol
related packets. Try it without the firewalls, to be sure.

There are no firewall rules that apply to the VPN traffic. The internet connection, that the VPN passes through doesnsn't see the SMB or NFS traffic, because they're encrypted in the tunnel packets.

2. Set on both sides cttl in your options file: cttl 64
Encryption doesn't require a fast CPU: a 486 is sufficient for a
ADSL/CABLE/DIALUP connection.
3. Or (maybe) you have got a MTU problem: search the CIPE archives for more
info.

Cttl is already set to 64. CIPE automatically adjusts the MTU as required, but I have also tried smaller packets, without any improvement.

I hope this helps..

Hans Steegers