To: Hans Steegers <steegers,AT,steegers,DOT,nl>
Subject: Re: Slow file sharing performance
From: James Knott <james.knott,AT,rogers,DOT,com>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 07:55:03 -0400
Cc: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de

Hans Steegers wrote:
There are no firewall rules that apply to the VPN traffic.  The internet
connection, that the VPN passes through doesnsn't see the SMB or NFS
traffic, because they're encrypted in the tunnel packets.

Of course, but a typo is easily made and overlooked causing filtering between the LAN and CIPE interface... Also: ICMP traffic can be involved for routing CIPE's UDP packets...

CIPE automatically adjusts the MTU as required, but I have also tried
smaller packets, without any improvement.

The so called MTU problem is not CIPE's but other's having problems with CIPE's 1442 or 1428 MTU.

I have tried cutting the MTU way back to 440 bytes. The problem still exists.

Also, given that the external world sees only the encrypted packets, shouldn't things like MTU or ICMP affect every protocol and not just SMB or NFS?