To: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de
Subject: Re: Slow file sharing performance
From: James Knott <james.knott,AT,rogers,DOT,com>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 07:58:21 -0400

Tanel wrote:
On Sun, 31 Aug 2003, James Knott wrote:

I've notice that while my CIPE VPN works, that SMB and NFS access of my home network from my notebook is slow. However, going the other

One computer is a 1.113 GHz PIII, the other is an Athlon XP 1700. I'd suspect both ends have sufficient horsepower. Also, when watching the data lights flash, it's apparent that the data transfer stops entirely for quite a while. I would expect transfers to be slower due to the

Cipe uses UDP protocol and it is very sensitive to packet latency and packet loss. So I think UDP does not suite for a VPN, where files must be transported. Try SSH tunnels instead.

Actually, info on the CIPE contradicts your point.