To: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de
Subject: Re: Slow file sharing performance
From: James Knott <james.knott,AT,rogers,DOT,com>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 08:00:23 -0400

Peter van den Heuvel wrote:
Why is this problem in only one direction? Is it due to the speed difference between my home network and dial up modem?

One other reason might be a firewall you are running. You do must allow at least some ICMP to get through.

The VPN works fine for everything but NFS and SMB, and the problem is only in the one direction. This would indicate that the firewall is passing all that's necessary for the vpn to operate. Also, there are no firewall rules applied to the vpn traffic. My firewall runs IPTables on Red Hat 7.3 and the firewall rules allow ICMP from the outside world.

If anyone is interested, I could send some Ethereal dumps of the situation.

tnx jk