To: CIPE <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>
Subject: Re: Slow file sharing performance
From: Allan Latham <alatham,AT,flexsys-group,DOT,com>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 17:29:15 +0200

Hi all

this has generated a lot of replies. It may make it easier if we could all
see
a more precise statement of the problem:

What exactly are you running - hardware, OS and cipe versions at both ends?
What are the respective performances for both small and large files (in each
direction)?
Are directory searches slow or just file transfers?
If your OS supports pings of various lengths what does this show (in each
direction)?
What are the firewall rules on all machines you have control of (notebook,
cable modem (if applicable), home router, file server)?
What NFS sofware are you using - is it TCP or UDP based?

One last point not raised so far - what are your transmit queue lengths on
the
file server and the home router. Ifconfig gives you these.

Please excuse me if some of this is already available in the current thread
but it would be good to get it one place.

I feel that this will go some way to helping everyone on the list get a
clearer picture - and hopefully an answer.

Best regards

Allan