To: CIPE <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>
Subject: Re: Slow file sharing performance
From: James Knott <james.knott,AT,rogers,DOT,com>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 19:21:54 -0400

Allan Latham wrote:
Hi all

this has generated a lot of replies. It may make it easier if we could all see a more precise statement of the problem:

What exactly are you running - hardware, OS and cipe versions at both ends?
What are the respective performances for both small and large files (in each direction)?

Main desktop system: Athlon XP 1700+ Firewall: 166 MHz Pentium Notebook: 1.113 GHz PIII

Red Hat 7.3 on all systems, with CIPE cipe-1.4.5-9 on both ends of the VPN

Wben accessing the notebook from the home lan, performance is as may be expected from a dial up connection for all protocols. When accessing the home network from the notebook, everything works fine, except SMB & NFS. For example, ftp works OK. I haven't made any performance measurements. However Ethereal shows SMB transfers stop after about 12 packet exchanges. If I wait an extremely long time, I may see something show up, but not much.

Are directory searches slow or just file transfers?

Both.

If your OS supports pings of various lengths what does this show (in each direction)?

I haven't tried different length pings, however other traffic, such as telnet, ftp, ssh etc. have no problems. I have also tried adjusting MTU on both the VPN and end systems. Ping times through the firewall are slightly longer than those without.

What are the firewall rules on all machines you have control of (notebook, cable modem (if applicable), home router, file server)?
What NFS sofware are you using - is it TCP or UDP based?

There are no firewall rules currently running on the notebook. The VPN traffic doesn't pass through any firewall rules, though the ethernet port to the cable modem is filtered and configured to pass the appropriate UDP ports. I'm using the NFS that came with Red Hat, which I believe is UDP. The firewall rules were posted in another message.

One last point not raised so far - what are your transmit queue lengths on the file server and the home router. Ifconfig gives you these.

All are 100.

Please excuse me if some of this is already available in the current thread but it would be good to get it one place.

I feel that this will go some way to helping everyone on the list get a clearer picture - and hopefully an answer.

Best regards

Allan