To: CIPE <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>
Subject: Re: Slow file sharing performance
From: Allan Latham <alatham,AT,flexsys-group,DOT,com>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 10:18:23 +0200

Hi James

try the effect of reducing the transmit queues on the file server and router.
This is not likely to be a satisfactory long term solution but may get you
nearer to the source of the problem.

Try 100 -> 30 -> 10 -> 3 and note the performance differences. (ifconfig lets
you change the queue). You may want to reduce the queue length on the cipe
device too.

If this makes a significant difference then you will probably need some form
of bandwidth control on the file server - we'll look at that if this is in
fact the problem.

Best regards

Allan