To: Jake Bullet <jbullet,AT,cats,DOT,meow,DOT,at>
Subject: Re: Win2k and CIPE
From: Phil Scarratt <fil,AT,draxsen,DOT,com>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 10:53:29 +1000
Cc: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de

Jake Bullet wrote:

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Phil Scarratt wrote:

Jake Bullet wrote:

Okay, what I should have said was "I've not added anything to the routing
table" rather than saying it was empty.

With alice(cipcb0) and chris's(cipcb1) interface enabled it looks like

Kernel IP routing table
Destination   Gateway        Genmask         Flags Metric Ref  Use  Iface    *     UH    0      0      0  cipcb0    *     UH    0      0      0  cipcb1 *     U     0      0      0  eth0
default         UG    0      0      0  eth0

OK...that makes more sense now..... Let's recap a few things: 1. Can Alice ping Bob and vice-versa?

2. Can Chris ping Bob and vice-versa?

3. Adding a route to on Alice and pinging Chris doesn't work

4. What is the default route on Chris? Chris needs to know how to get to specifically if it's default route is NOT Bob.

The default route is to through his local gateway

I've tried adding routes for and the win2k client
seems to fail to route packets for down it.

From what I can tell, what needs to happen on Chris is:
route add mask
For testing purposes it may be worth trying the specific route to Alice:
route add mask
and then ping Alice from Chris. When pinging, run windump/ethereal and see which interface the packets are going out CIPE or interface that is connected to it's local gateway.

Also, I have a vague recollection that Win2k routing has trouble with networks whose third ip address component was 0 (even though it is valid). I could be wrong but I have a de-ja-vu about using networks such as 192.168.0.x (or in your case 172.16.0.x) and trying add routes. Like I said, only a vague recollection.....not sure of the exact circumstances so could've been something else causing it.....

Failing this, what's the route table on Chris look like?