To: Allan Latham <alatham,AT,flexsys-group,DOT,com>, CIPE <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>
Subject: Re: Slow file sharing performance
From: James Knott <james.knott,AT,rogers,DOT,com>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 06:28:34 -0400

I don't have tcpdump installed, but I do have Ethereal and already have most of what you want in that format. Would that help?

Allan Latham wrote:
Hi James

the following would be useful if that doesn't cause you privacy problems:

all covering the same timespan during the problem.

on the laptop:

tcpdump -i ppp0 (or whatever) -v -n > laptop_ppp0
tcpdump -i cipcb0 (or whatever) -v -n  > laptop_cipcb0

on the router:

tcpdump -i eth0 (your cable modem) -v -n > router_eth0
tcpdump -i eth1 (your local net) -v -n > router_eth1
tcpdump -i cipcb0 (or whatever) -v -n > router_cipcb0

on the file server:

tcpdump -i eth0 (or whatever) -v -n > server_eth0

then send me the 6 logfiles. You may want to send direct to me rather than the group.

Best regards

Allan