To: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de
Subject: Re: cipe kills our wireless link
From: Dragan Matic <gekko,AT,eunet,DOT,yu>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 18:48:25 +0200

Yap, you were right. It came out to be faulty wireless driver. This bug is showing only when transfering large files over the link. I was confused because it broke my link only when cipe was active. But again, only then were large amounts of data being transferred.

Hans Steegers wrote:

I doubt CIPE is causing this. To me it looks more like a driver problem of
the wireless adapter. The traffic you see is possibly traffic from the
remote accross the link. Looks like the link is not completely dead.
Or for the paranoid: maybe another wireless is spying or trying to take over
your tunnel! Call the feds!

For the customer you could implement something to recover automatically if
the link is down: run a script to down en up eth0 and the link is restored,
so the customer is happy and you can investigate this further.

Run CIPE in debug mode or run a debug version of CIPE and examine the logs
for clues.
Do the same for the Wireless adapter if possible. Check the mailing list as
well if one exists.

If you want help, you need to provide more precise information and not start
to  blame CIPE without solid evidence.

Hans Steegers

-----Original Message----- From: Dragan Matic <gekko,AT,eunet,DOT,yu> To: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de> Date: Thursday, September 04, 2003 10:15 AM Subject: cipe kills our wireless link

We have a wireless internet link and one of our big customers use cipe
to approach our network. The problem is that at random - especially
after transfering large amount of data (few hundred megabytes through
smb access), and only when cipe adapter is active - wireless link just
dies. It cannot ping the access point, and the computer that it is in -
the router (IBM pIII 450/128mb) - slows down. Running ethereal shows
there is traffic going on on UDP port 7771 (the port cipcb0 is on), and
that goes on even after shutting down cipcb0! If I kill eth1 (wireless
card connected to internet) and bring it up again, everything goes back
to normal. I really do not understand how can I still have traffic on
port 7771 when cipe adapter is down. And the problem is really difficult
to reproduce because it happens at random. Any suggestions? Tnx in advance.

Dragan