To: CIPE <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>
Subject: Re: Slow file sharing performance
From: Allan Latham <alatham,AT,flexsys-group,DOT,com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 08:51:51 +0200

Hi James

the problem is that the laptop is sending the icmp for port unreachable on
the
smb dgram port - or better said I am concerned that this is the last thing we
see before all activity stops.

Set up the normal configuration i.e over dial up and cipe.

Confirm with "netstat -antup" that you have the samba listening on all the
ports it should - particularly the udp dgram port (138).

Confirm that you are not blocking this port with "iptables -L -v -n"

Is there anything in the samba configuration which restricts connectivity
to/from specific hosts/nets?

The direct connection test means that a lot of samba must be working - the
main differences (beside speed) are the use of eth0 on the laptop rather than
ppp0 and cipcb0.

The results I saw do not indicate a flood in one direction which does not get
through - also the packet sizes are small and this isn't an mtu problem.

Best regards

Allan