To: <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>
Subject: Re: Checklist (sub-thread of: "Slow file sharing performance: lost pidgeons")
From: "Hans Steegers" <hsx,AT,dds,DOT,nl>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 12:22:14 +0200

Hi Alan,

>Maybe we could to put together a check list of information we want before
we
>feel it's worth looking at a problem? We coud then post this as a standard
>reply when insufficient information is not given on the first request.

Maybe it is a solution: some don't even bother to read any documentation.
They have a problem and need a solution instantly. Sometimes unhindered by
any knowledge and full of misconceptions about networking. All they know is
that CIPE doesn't work the way they expected it should work, and blame the
software for it. Sometimes caused by the fatal combination of arrogance,
ignorance and incompetence. Requiring the provision of sufficient
information before looking into the problem may prevent wasting unnecessary
time and energy.

We could expect the following in cases such as James's in order to be able
to diagnose the cause of such problems:

* Summary of the setup: what is connected to what and over what
medium/network, so we get a picture what is to be achieved..
* Summary, followed by a detailed description of the problem: just stating
"it doesn't work" isn't very helpful.

Note: The summaries are to allow others to see whether they can help without
needing to read the detailed description and attachements.

And provided as attachements, if applicable:
* Output of ifconfig of involved cipxx, ethx/pppx devices
* Output of route -n (route print)
* Output of ipchains or iptables ruleset (list command)
* Options files and up/down scripts of all involved cipe interfaces
* pktdump output if applicable or on request.

NOTE: Public ip-addresses can be replaced by a.a.a.a, b.b.b.b, etc for
privacy reasons, etc.

Another requirement could be: Mandatory posting of the final solution to his
problem by the poster, even it was caused by a silly overlooked mistake. Too
often threads in this mailing list are ending nowhere, which is a waste and
makes it frustrating to search for solutions in the mailing list archives.

Maybe you, or somebody else, has additional suggestions?

Hans Steegers