To: CIPE <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>
Subject: Re: Slow file sharing performance: pidgeons lost!
From: James Knott <james.knott,AT,rogers,DOT,com>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 19:31:52 -0400

Hans Steegers wrote:
Allan,

Yes, whatever. I can't tell, since he didn't post his firewall output (only
a script) or pktdump output. Nor did he answer questions (mine and others),
to find out later it wasn't just a speed difference, but traffic stopped all
together in one direction..

With Samba it stops. With NFS, it's extremely slow. It does however appear to be speed related, as when I connect my notebook to the Internet side of my firewall, or connect via wireless, the file sharing works fine, even though nothing else has changed.

I am not going to waste my time if the information provided is incomplete and doesn't add up.

However, I do admire your persistence.

And, by the way, RFC 1149 is quite funny, describing a low speed service,
much like what James is experiencing: Something is keeping the pidgeons from
coming home..

Hans Steegers