To: cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de
Subject: Re: Checklist (sub-thread of: "Slow file sharing performance: lostpidgeons")
From: Tanel <tanel,AT,kivilinn,DOT,tartu,DOT,ee>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 10:42:35 +0300 (EET DST)

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, James Knott wrote:

> I used dial up, the problems return.  This only appears to apply to
> protocols that use UDP.  FTP, which uses TCP, doesn't experience that
> problem.  My conclusion is that the problem is with Samba & NFS and not
> CIPE.  I would expect this is due to the lack of UDP flow control,
> except as may be provided by a particular service.  My experience, where
> file sharing from the notebook backs this up, as data from the notebook
> would be initially limited by the dialup connection and there would be
> no concern about over-running some slower device further on.

that's why I suggested not to use UDP protocol for VPN. UDP is slow with
slow network connections and is extremely dependent of packet loss and
ping time. I always get lower speeds with UDP rather than TCP/IP, on the
same connection. FTP transfer is always ca 30-40% faster than UDP transfer
(NFS or Cipe VPN), even on fibre cable connections. And I think there's
nothing to do to make things better.

tanel