To: <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>
Subject: Re: Checklist (sub-thread of: "Slow file sharing performance: lostpidgeons")
From: "Hans Steegers" <J.Steegers,AT,hccnet,DOT,nl>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 10:16:54 +0200

>I have searched the documentation I could find and elsewhere, yet I
>haven't seen this particular problem.
which means: either you are on the wrong track (most probable), or you
have something unique nobody had before (less probable).

>My initial testing was via dial up, as that was all I had available.
>This past weekend, I bought a wireless router/firewall and placed it
>between my Linux firewall and cable modem.  This allows me two
>additional methods of connecting to my Linux firewall.  One via the 4
>port switched hub at 100 Mb and also via wireless at 11 Mb.  Note that
>with these 3 methods, the connection to the Linux firewall is always
>through eth0.
>The only difference is the connection bandwidth.
** No, it is not! What about your notebook?

>When I connect via either the switch or wireless, everything works fine.
When
>I used dial up, the problems return.
Are you using the same interface for LAN, Wireless and Dail-Up???

>This only appears to apply to protocols that use UDP.
UDP doesn't garantee delivery: it is a conncetionless protocol and only does
a best effort job.  You obeservation is not very convincing.

>FTP, which uses TCP, doesn't experience that
>problem.  My conclusion is that the problem is with Samba & NFS and not
>CIPE.  I would expect this is due to the lack of UDP flow control,
That's your conclusion, for what it is worth!
Do not expect anything, it may blindfold you!

>except as may be provided by a particular service.  My experience, where
>file sharing from the notebook backs this up, as data from the notebook
>would be initially limited by the dialup connection and there would be
>no concern about over-running some slower device further on.
It has noting to do with speed.

>I worked with Allan, because he seemed to have the most to offer for
>this problem.  I didn't mean to exclude anyone else.
No step closer to a solution. You didn't answer simple questions.

The problem remains:
* You make a lot of assumptions and judgements without backing it up with
evidence.
* You are not providing the information needed to diagnose your problem.
* You seem to be very sure it is speed related.
If you know best why use this mailing list soooo often?
And the problem can still be caused by anything (icmp/firewall, mtu/dialin
provider, interface, routing,..).
Not a step closer to a solution after so many emails and after so much time
spent by many.

I didn't find any information on your dial-up set-up, modem, driver,
interface, etc. .. And isn't that the interface over which your problem
occurs?

Please, do NOT waste my time!

Hans Steegers