To: CIPE <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>
Subject: Re: Checklist (sub-thread of: "Slow file sharing performance: lostpidgeons")
From: James Knott <james.knott,AT,rogers,DOT,com>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 08:06:25 -0400

Hans Steegers wrote:
I have searched the documentation I could find and elsewhere, yet I
haven't seen this particular problem.

which means: either you are on the wrong track (most probable), or you have something unique nobody had before (less probable).

My initial testing was via dial up, as that was all I had available.
This past weekend, I bought a wireless router/firewall and placed it
between my Linux firewall and cable modem.  This allows me two
additional methods of connecting to my Linux firewall.  One via the 4
port switched hub at 100 Mb and also via wireless at 11 Mb.  Note that
with these 3 methods, the connection to the Linux firewall is always
through eth0.
The only difference is the connection bandwidth.

** No, it is not! What about your notebook?

The same computers are used in all tests. The only difference is the method of connecting from the notebook to the firewall.

When I connect via either the switch or wireless, everything works fine.

When

I used dial up, the problems return.

Are you using the same interface for LAN, Wireless and Dail-Up???

Yes, as I mentioned in another note, the only way into my firewall, is via eth0. When I used dial up, it's through another ISP and cable modem to my system. Previously, the cable modem connected directly to my Linux firewall. I now have a wireless router/firewall in between the cable modem and Linux firewall.

This only appears to apply to protocols that use UDP.

UDP doesn't garantee delivery: it is a conncetionless protocol and only does a best effort job. You obeservation is not very convincing.

I am aware the UDP is best effort and that the services using it are supposed to provide flow control if necessary. Given that FTP, which uses TCP works fine and Samba and NFS, which use UDP have problems, what observations would you make?

FTP, which uses TCP, doesn't experience that
problem.  My conclusion is that the problem is with Samba & NFS and not
CIPE.  I would expect this is due to the lack of UDP flow control,

That's your conclusion, for what it is worth! Do not expect anything, it may blindfold you!

except as may be provided by a particular service.  My experience, where
file sharing from the notebook backs this up, as data from the notebook
would be initially limited by the dialup connection and there would be
no concern about over-running some slower device further on.

It has noting to do with speed.

So, what can you suggest is the problem, when it works with a fast connection, but not a slow one? The only difference, within my control is connection speed. Now, the dialup does have another ISP involved, but they'd have no way to look into the VPN traffic and know or do anything about the different protocols it's carrying.

I worked with Allan, because he seemed to have the most to offer for
this problem.  I didn't mean to exclude anyone else.

No step closer to a solution. You didn't answer simple questions.

The problem remains:
* You make a lot of assumptions and judgements without backing it up with
evidence.
* You are not providing the information needed to diagnose your problem.
* You seem to be very sure it is speed related.
If you know best why use this mailing list soooo often?
And the problem can still be caused by anything (icmp/firewall, mtu/dialin
provider, interface, routing,..).
Not a step closer to a solution after so many emails and after so much time
spent by many.

I didn't find any information on your dial-up set-up, modem, driver,
interface, etc. .. And isn't that the interface over which your problem
occurs?

Please, do NOT waste my time!

Hans Steegers