To: CIPE <cipe-l,AT,inka,DOT,de>
Subject: Re: Checklist (sub-thread of: "Slow file sharing performance: lostpidgeons")
From: James Knott <james.knott,AT,rogers,DOT,com>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 08:25:45 -0400

Peter van den Heuvel wrote:
My initial testing was via dial up, as that was all I had available. This past weekend, I bought a wireless router/firewall and placed it

--- whatever ---

Several people have offered advice and asked to-the-point questions that you never dignified to answer. The case you keep on presenting to death from your own perspective is not based on knowledge or experience. If you want to waste your time (and money) pursuing it, fine. But please do so on your own. You're simply wasting everybodies time here.

As I mentioned before, I was working with the person who seemed to have a better handle on the situation. I wasn't trying to ignore anyone. I tried to answer the questions in notes to Allan and some of the replies may have gone to him alone, as I've noticed that replies in this mailing list go to the sender, not the whole group. While I try to change the address, so that it goes to the group, sometime I forget and only Allan gets the reply. On other occasions, I've realized that I forgot to change the address and then resent to all.

Further, in the past couple of weeks, I was busy with work and other things and had limited time to work on this. This week I'm on vacation and have much more time. I'll have to browse back through those messages to see if there's more I can add.

Also some of the messages had no bearing on the problem, such as those from that guy who insisted on using TCP for a VPN.

Given that SMB & NFS through the VPN work well at high speeds, but not low, what would you suggest is the problem? Also, while most of my testing has been with my home Linux system, the same symptoms appear with another computer running OS/2, so it's unlikely the problem is just within Linux or Samba. Is it a problem with a protocol that was never intended to be used beyone a local lan?